Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs sends cease-and-desist from jail to former protégé Shyne over new Hulu doc

Sean “Diddy” Combs has sent a cease-and-desist letter over a new documentary about his onetime protégé, Shyne.

A source said that Diddy is not trying to block the release of the film — but was looking to “ensure” that the facts were straight after Shyne alleged that he took the fall for Diddy over an infamous case 25 years ago.

A rep for the film — made by ESPN’s Andscape — did not immediately comment. But sources close to Diddy as well as the film confirmed that the cease-and-desist had been sent.

Born Jamal Barrow, Shyne was infamously at a Manhattan nightclub in 1999 with his pal and boss, Diddy, and the Bad Boy Records founder’s then-gal pal, Jennifer Lopez.

Sean “Diddy” Combs has sent a cease-and-desist letter over a new documentary. Getty Images
Born Jamal Barrow, Shyne was infamously involved in a NYC nightclub shooting in 1999. Hulu

An altercation broke out between Combs and another man when guns were drawn, shots were fired and three bystanders were injured. Shyne and Combs went on trial in 2001, but only his protégé was convicted of assault and reckless endangerment.

Shyne, who is now a politician in Belize, served eight years in jail.

In the new doc, Shyne says Combs’ ways are now “coming to light,” and that he thinks he was the “fall guy” for the Sean John founder. “Because when I said it [at the time], everyone was partying and having a great time with Diddy while I was left to rot in prison,” he says in the film that follows his journey from a short-lived rapping career to becoming a politician.

Shyne is now a politician in Belize. shyne_bz/Instagram
The former rapper spent eight years in jail. Getty Images

He previously told The Post of his conviction: “I grew up [being told] to not get my friends in trouble. And that’s what it really boiled down to, integrity about character.”

He said in an interview promoting the film that he believed he was protecting Diddy, but claims the hitmaker, “got witnesses to testify against me, to say that basically I was this uncontrollable person that was acting in a depraved manner, which was the furtherest from the truth.”

He said he did not want to, “break the code of honor, which is that you don’t get people in trouble.”

Diddy has denied all the charges against him in his latest case. AFP via Getty Images

Diddy’s reps blasted his comments, telling Page Six: “Mr. Combs categorically denies Mr. Barrow’s allegations, including any suggestion that he orchestrated Mr. Barrow to ‘take the fall’ or ‘sacrificed’ him by directing witnesses to testify against him. These claims are unequivocally false.”

The reps added: “Mr. Combs was acquitted of all charges related to the [1999 incident] and has consistently maintained his innocence,” and, “Mr. Combs appreciates the path Mr. Barrow has pursued and wishes him continued success. It is unfortunate that Mr. Barrow has chosen to revisit these allegations.”

The Nov. 18 release of Shyne’s documentary comes after Combs was arrested in September on charges of racketeering conspiracy, sex trafficking by force, fraud or coercion and transportation to engage in prostitution.

The film was made by ESPN’s Andscape. AFP via Getty Images

The Diddy empire began to unravel a year ago when his ex, Casandra “Cassie” Ventura, filed a lawsuit accusing him of rape and physical abuse during their decade-long relationship. Combs denied any wrongdoing and settled with the singer a day later.

The three-time Grammy winner, who is being held in a notorious Brooklyn jail, has also been hit with a slew of shocking suits accusing him of sexual abuse — though he continues to adamantly maintain his innocence and pleaded not guilty in his case.

Shyne’s father was also a politician. Paul Zimmerman/Shutterstock

Advertisement

Related Posts

Bodybuilder “Jodi Vance” DIED at the age of 20 due to “severe dehydration” just because she didn’t do this right…

Vance’s trainer said her health had become “quite concerning” recently Bodybuilder Jodi Vance . Photo: Jodi Vance/Instagram Bodybuilder Jodi Vance has died after suffering a fatal heart attack, her family said. She was 20 years old. A post on Vance’s  …

Read more

“Why Did They Abandon Their Elderly Parents Until Death, Driven by Past Stressful Conflicts?”

Legendary Oscar-winning actor Gene Hackman died at the age of 95 along with his wife Betsy Arakawa at their home in Santa Fe, New Mexico on February 26, 2025. He is survived by three children from his first marriage to Faye Maltese: Christopher …

Read more

“Uncovering the Haunting Death of Gene Hackman and His Wife: A Timeline That Sends Shivers, with One Disturbing Detail”

Gene Hackman and his wife Betsy were found dead in their Santa Fe, N.M., home on Feb. 26 When authorities went inside the two-story Santa Fe, N.M., home of  Gene Hackman  and  his wife Betsy  around 2 p.m. on Wed. Feb. 26, they spotted Betsy first. …

Read more

Mocks Selena Gomez in a new post specifically showing her attitude when …

Model Hailey Bieber denies liking a sarcastic TikTok post about Justin Bieber’s ex Selena Gomez. Model Hailey Bieber. Photo:  Wire Hailey Bieber’s rep is speaking out after a TikToker claimed she “liked” a TikTok post mocking Selena Gomez and her …

Read more

Queen Mary Just Copied Kate Middleton’s Most Shimmery Gown to Date

Generate Key Takeaways It was a glimmering event for Queen Mary in Copenhagen this past week in more ways than one: She and her husband King Frederik hosted an Arts and Culture Ball at Christianborg Palace, taking over a tiara-worthy tradition started …

Read more

Kate Middleton & Meghan Markle And Their Fight Over Bees

Not only is she supposedly stealing ideas, but she’s stealing hobbies, too?  That’s what a lot of fans and critics can’t help but wonder as it’s being pointed out that Kate Middleton has long been a beekeeper before Meghan Markle told the world about …

Read more

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *